Mindfulness-Based Life Coaching
There are times when we feel we have to get serious.
When we see there’s more than chasing after status and outward achievements. When we feel the urgency to tend to our INNER life. Maybe we feel the need to grow into a bigger and better person to face significant life challenges. Maybe with so much chaos, fear, and aggression in our world, we want to be strong enough to counter it with groundedness, care, and compassion.
I offer life coaching to people who see that being strong on the inside is essential to thriving in our turbulent times. And the key quality I bring to bear is mindfulness. Both as a skill for you to hone, and also an approach I take for deep and thoughtful dialogue.
Examples of issues clients bring forward:
- Feeling tired and scattered with so much on your plate, and getting nowhere with it.
- Unhappy with your work, and wanting to find something more meaningful.
- Transitioning to a new phase of life, such as returning to work after a hiatus, a newly-empty nest, death or divorce, relocating to a different part of the country (or world), or retirement.
- A chronic or long-term medical condition that limits you.
- Any sense that you’re the one standing in the way of a fuller life.
The Coaching Process
- Assessing your current situation. What’s challenging you? Where do you want to go? What do you want to see change? What strengths and supports are already there?
- Identifying where you’re hindering yourself. What patterns show up repeatedly that no longer serve you? Anxiety or other emotional hijacks? Self-criticism? Perfectionism or “glass half full” mentality? Worry about what others think?
- Establishing long and short-term strategies. What path do you want to take? How to address the short-term practical issues while aiming toward the long-term vision? How to transition your finances, job, relationships, etc., while minimizing risk? What emotional and psychological skill-building is needed?
- Building mindfulness skills. Support for establishing mindfulness as a way of life. Either as a formal meditation practice, or simple daily habits that provide a foundation of groundedness and self-awareness.
- Managing ongoing focus and energy. Keeping you on track and accountable while being flexible, kind, and gentle on yourself.
- The purpose is not necessarily to achieve your goals (which may change), but to transform yourself in service of your goals.
What I offer you
My sessions consist of weekly conversations by videoconference or phone. You drive the agenda, and together we shape how to work it.
I offer deep, non-judgmental listening and mutual exploration.
I bring an unbiased perspective that reflects back the subtler implications behind what you say. In other words, we together uncover who you really are and what you have to offer the world.
I also provide gentle support to try new things. It’s a safe, low-risk place to step outside your comfort zone.
In this experimental space, there are no mistakes or failures, only opportunities to learn.
Overall, I offer my Buddhist perspective. Everything I do is informed by my personal practice of 20+ years. It’s not a “religious” view, but a universal, pragmatic one backed by contemporary evidence-based research.
Here’s an article on what to look for in an effective mindful coach and coaching process.
What I ask of you
- Be motivated to change. Become a student of your own life. Find motivation to learn what’s REALLY going on under the surface. Be willing to do some heavy lifting. Follow through on commitments. Be persistent.
- Come prepared. Know what you need to work on. Come with questions.
- Keep an open mind. Be open to looking within, even to places that may feel difficult. Be willing to be wrong. Try on different perspectives. Be curious.
- Do your homework. 80% of your results depend on what you do BETWEEN sessions. Take the initiative to carry forward what you learn from each session into your daily life.
- Establish a daily mindfulness practice. If you have no experience with meditation, we’ll work out a low-stress approach that works for you. If you already have a practice, we’ll strengthen what you already have.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a free, no pressure exploratory session. Please include a description of your current situation and what changes you’d like to see.
Gratitude from Clients
“Though I was generally in a good place when I started, I had some serious questions about the next phase of my life, among them my career, my passions, my relationships and my spiritual path. You always listened, engaged me in profound and insightful discussion. I often found myself saying, “what a good question!” I’m now living the simple but highly-textured, passionate life I’ve always envisioned. I can’t imagine that anyone considering life coaching could find better than what you offer. You’re really good at what you do.”